The Infrastructure engineer will operate a large estate of various physical compute, with technologies such as VMware, Xen, Hyper-V and some others based at our remote Data Centre locations.
This role is hands on to administrate the physical and virtualisation assets, and within that setting our policies around the use of internal IT teams to consume the services offered to other areas within the wider Technology organisation.
This role will require travel to our offices locations in Portugal, Romania, Ireland and UK.
- Commission, deployment, operational management of all virtualisation infrastructure examples Xen, Hyper-V, VMware ESX-I estates Openstack, including:
- Virtualisation design
- Template deployment
- V-switch configuration
- V-switch port configuration
- Licence configuration management
- Assistance with compilation of capacity management monthly reporting
- Remote assistance with full lifecycle management in conjunction with the data centre management team
- Ensure that the various virtualisation / physical compute cluster technologies are configured correctly and looking to identify potential cost reduction opportunities or improvements
- Participation in training and upskilling with new developments relevant to the role
- Operation of tickets in a demanding environment
- Manage, deployment and operational management of public clouds: AWS and Azure
- Commission, deployment, operational management of all storage infrastructure
examples IBM XiV, PureStorage, Netapp, HP 3PAR, Dell EqualLogic.
- High technology competency around the provision of virtualisation, resources in both physical and virtual environments
- Strong knowledge in deploying physical servers using Spacewalk, Cobbler and Kickstart
- In-depth understanding of Linux (CentOS, Redhat) in a large enterprise environment, including troubleshooting, debugging and customisation
- Automation of physical server deployment and upgrade of Linux & Windows operating systems including firmware of LOMs implementations in production environments
- Maintenance for Virtual Machine Provisioning tool integrated with Xen estate and Puppet
- Hands on and deep technical understanding of various technologies but not limited to: Xen, Hyper-V, and VMware
- Strong understanding of NetApp, Pure Storage, EMC, IBM flash and IBM XIV with NetBackup and Brocade switches required
- Ability to operate at highly technical level and a concise communicator
- Ability to work in an internationally distributed team achieving high and consistent levels of performance across the team as a whole
- Keen and active interest in technology trends and the impact of new/disruptive technologies, determining how best to exploit these to the advantage of PPB
- Capable of working in the demanding environment of mission-critical business systems
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise own workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Flexibility and adaptable in their approach to customer and business needs
- Taking ownership of issues through to resolution demonstrating a positive, can do, proactive approach to issue resolution
- Desire to learn about new products and keep abreast of new product developments