The Solution Designer is responsible for solution architecture, technical implementation planning, consultancy and operations support to the technology delivery teams.
While some of these responsibilities are shared with other functions within Infrastructure, the diverse nature of the resources being brought together requires an impartial and independent perspective to guarantee that all considerations around the enterprise and hosting infrastructure are surfaced and understood before any major consolidation steps are taken. The roll holder will need to consider the need of all PPB stakeholders dependent on the services of the Infrastructure team, as well as suppliers. The Solution Designer must work closely with product engineering to ensure that the infrastructure and supporting service meets their requirements while ensuring that the stakeholders understand what infrastructure can do for them.
The Solution Designer will be responsible for assisting in planning, reviewing, and research to provide input to key decision-making activities and will contribute to steering the direction taken by the infrastructure department to build out a world class hosting and management services to underpin our customer offerings.
This role reports into the SDPM Senior Delivery manager and will require some travel to other locations including Cluj, London, Dublin, Porto.
- Detailed design of technical solutions, applying core principles to high level requirements and bringing the solutions to lower level designs
- Technical ownership of the end to end solution
- Contribute in the coordinating and planning of technical solution builds
- Transition support of solutions to the engineering & operational teams as required
- To provide broad technical knowledge to ensure the solutions in Paddy Power Betfair are resilient, reliable and flexible to meet challenging and dynamic demands
- To provide leadership in designing and engineering the current and future platform services in Paddy Power Betfair
- Generate technical implementation plans and provide technical leadership and guidance during deployment activities
- Work closely with project management and rest of the delivery teams to identify in advance potential problems with solutions, including in the areas overall simplification in the core infrastructure and identifying potential issues in a large multi services platform environment
- Maintain and update solution documentation, detailed drawings and plans
- Work with vendors to evaluate new hardware/software and create deployment standards
- Maintaining consistent set of principles & standards across infrastructure solution delivery and evolve new principles as required
- Working closely with all the Engineering teams on the roadmap for new products and services based on current capabilities, business strategy and emerging technologies
- Work with the product engineering delivery teams to incorporate platform improvements and maintenance upgrades through their delivery schedules and roadmaps
- Ensure cross-skilling and best practice sharing across products
- Consult with Security, Infrastructure and cloud automation to ensure standards and principles are adhered to
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Reliability Engineering and Service Management to ensure that the required support structures are in place
- Contribute towards the preparation of roadmap for new products and services based on current capabilities, business strategy and emerging technologies
- Support the Solution engagement leads and project managers to define technical requirements and develop robust delivery plans
- Contribute to the wider PPB architectural community
- Experience in a related role is strongly desired
- Experience of delivering technology through multi-disciplinary teams using agile and lean software development methods
- Structured thinking and a clear ability to plan and deliver outcomes
- Ability to lead and influence teams to successful outcomes
- Ability to operate across all teams and be a strong communicator at all levels
- Ability to analyse to a deep technical level Infrastructure solutions proposed within the Infrastructure team
- Builds strong relationships with key stakeholders based on mutual respect, openness and transparency
- Open to see change as an opportunity and thrive in a fluid environment.
- Works at pace and conveys a sense of urgency to the team
- Good understanding of project management and ability to prioritise work effectively
- Works well under time and environmental pressures
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Commercially aware with a strong customer focus
- Gives honest, direct feedback to team members and stakeholders to help resolve issues quickly
- Works at pace and conveys a sense of urgency to the team
- Leads by example in terms of work ethic and professional attitude
- Experience building scalable online services with rapid burst capacity
- Good knowledge of solution design, hosting design, & WAN
- Excellent working knowledge of IaaS, PaaS bringing together all tools and environments to deploy, configure, and orchestrate applications/services. This includes a deep understanding of infrastructure as code and immutable infrastructure
- Active interest in technology trends and the impact of open source technologies, determining when and how best to exploit these to the advantage of PPB
- Good knowledge of SAS & enterprise technology
- Highly proficient with office tools Education
- Bachelors/Master’s degree in a business or technology discipline
Personal leadership style Places a high priority on developing and empowering others, develops others through coaching and feedback. Is resilient and confident under pressure, handles and manages crisis effectively, experiments to find new solutions isn’t afraid to fail and learn from the experience
Commercial acumen: Knows how the business works and how the organisation makes money and stays competitive. Encourages diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation. Articulates credible pictures and visions of possibilities that will create sustainable value
Ability to drive change: Talks about the future possibilities in a positive way, creates milestones and symbols to rally support behind the vision. Articulates the vision in a way everyone can relate to.
Business engagement and relationship management: Works cooperatively and partners with others across the organisation to get work done. Uses knowledge of business drivers to guide actions.
Flexible working is our way of working! We’re a diverse workforce and therefore a ‘one size fits all’ approach isn’t necessarily best. Whatever your personal needs may be, part – time or other options let’s have a chat and see how we can accommodate them.