We are looking for an enthusiastic dedicated, self-motivated Associate DevOps Engineer to work within our team to implement and support the front end of a highly transactional and highly available product. The role is responsible for delivery and support from development through to production for a given product portfolio.
The successful candidate will be proactive, thorough and have excellent technical and problem solving skills, with a positive and results-driven attitude. They will be striving to provide high quality products within agreed timelines, aiming for “right first time, every time” results and driving continuous improvements across the Linux environments.
- Deployment and configuration of new software application releases
- On-going support of a given applications portfolio
- Installation of standard build from development through to production
- Assisting other engineers and developers within the team to build and scale the infrastructure for growth, security, and resilience
- Review of hardware and software design documents
- Resource estimations for projects and software releases
- Act as an escalation point for 1st line support for various issues within the team
- Create configuration / deployment instructions and documentation for use by Systems Engineering and Technical Support staff
- Provide on-call support duties for application servers (if requested)
- Perform system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Strong knowledge and experience of Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems administration
- Experience in application deployment and configuration on Linux platforms
- Experience of supporting JBoss/Tomcat/Cougar
- Basic Oracle and Networking knowledge
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, troubleshooting and root cause analysis capabilities.
- Ability to use scripting technologies (Shell, Bash, Perl, Batch, python, ruby) to create/modify scripts
- Ability to build on and use open-source tools/projects.
- Experienced in creation and roll-out of technical and procedural standards
- Experience of working in large environments, with experience and understanding of change control and release management processes
- Experience of Virtualisation technologies ( Preferably Xen Enterprise)
- Knowledge of automation tools (Chef/Puppet/CFengine)
- Implementation and configuration of monitoring tools
- Experience of load balancing products and/or clustering (HA and HPCC)
- Knowledge of Apache/PHP/MySQL stack
- Experience with Java/J2EE based web sites
- Experience with packaging of applications
- Experience with Oracle databases
- Networking experience and knowledge
- Understanding of high-volume transactional systems and distributed applications
- Storage experience
- Knowledge of AWS (Compute, Storage), Openstack Cloud solutions.
Key Skills & Attributes
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven and demonstrable troubleshooting and logical fault-diagnostic skills
- Attention to detail and proactive “can-do” approach to all aspects of systems administration
- Ability to take ownership of an issue and work to tight timeframes as necessary
- Ability to work as a strong team member, enforcing standards and completing documentation
- Keen interest in working with new technologies
- Proven ability and desire to innovate