We’re expanding the Data team and we’re looking for people passionate about Data, paying attention to accuracy, latency with interests in Machine Learning, Predictive Analyses, stream consumption based on Kafka, R, Cloud architecture.
We are looking for a Data Delivery Manager working within a Data Scrum team in our department. Reporting to a Head of Data Delivery, you will be responsible for the performance of your team and the quality of technical solutions they delivery through effective technical, project and people management at every step, and some involvement in hands on technical delivery of projects.
The ideal candidate will come from a strong Data background where they have been leading solutioning and development and/or testing of proven quality data solutions. Beyond the technical understanding, a successful Data Delivery Manager will have some experience and affinities towards people and performance management. In this role, you will have the responsibility for developing the team to deliver consistent and relevant solutions specific to the stakeholders’ requirements. You will hold regular 1:1s with data engineers and assist them in identifying their quarterly objectives based on the overall direction of our department and track progress.
Working within an Agile environment you will team up with Data engineers and QA engineers and system integrators to work on projects prioritized by various areas of the business; this could be enhancing existing solutions or more strategic Greenfield projects. The successful candidate will have good technical and problem-solving skills, with a positive and results driven attitude, a strong communicator who can interact with both technical and non-technical people.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Own delivery of technical data implementations prioritized in the Data Delivery team you lead in terms of being fully accountable for the efficient, quality, and effective implementation of the relevant roadmap
- Work closely with the key business customers, stakeholders, external partners and all groups within the Technology organization to implement, evolve, support and own the software and system components to appropriate quality standards, within Betfair’s overall infrastructure
- Clearly communicate and promote strategies, roadmaps, dependencies and plans for products and/or components
- Own the product lifecycle and be responsible for managing all delivery risks
- Manage all technical resources and capacity plans within budget and project schedule
- Instill the ownership mentality within the team for each component and project you deliver with a focus on quality, supportability and operational stability
- Lead, inspire, motivate and line manage a multi-discipline development team
- Coach, appraise performance, and assist with career development, ensuring effective performance management
- Help build a ‘delivery with high quality’ culture that is accountability and results orientated
- Responsible for achieving and sustaining employee engagement
- Meet ambitious timelines while balancing business risks and trade-offs
- Drive the team to continuously improve processes
- Maximize employee retention through motivation and strong management
- Encourage a ‘right first time’ culture
- Adopt a coaching style of leadership
- Understand intimately the dependencies between components and how they combine to deliver service to the end consumer and to the business
- Implement the enterprise data delivery strategy
- Ensure the day to day delivery of the backlog in line with enterprise integration and data architecture
- Manage the review of product requirements within the team and provide feedback to product owners and other change originators
- Understand and balance commercial needs against technical requirements and capabilities
- Easily recognize system deficiencies and implement effective solutions
- Foster an appropriate sense of urgency to deliver results at pace
- Manage the production of technical approach documentation and preparation of development and QA estimates
- Actively measure and review the Productivity, Quality and Duration of delivery, taking prompt corrective action where necessary
- The ability to make effective priority decisions when required
- Mentoring and coaching on a technical level.
Key Skills and Attributes
- Strong analytical and diagnostic skills
- Proactive work ethic with the ability to deliver results and meet challenging deadlines
- Passion to see projects to completion in a timely, accurate & efficient manner
- Self-motivating and able to motivate others
- Attention to detail with a high degree of pride in work delivered.
- Proven ability & desire to innovate
- Demonstrable knowledge of common enterprise design patterns and implementation
- Understanding of the entire software design, development and deployment lifecycle and enthusiasm for driving improvements to the software development process
- Able to project manage and priorities effectively
- Able to work in a rapid development environment with flexible requirements
- Able to use source code as primary documentation resource
- Able to gain a broad understanding of other, relevant technical areas
- Able to gain an in depth understanding of system architecture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and good English language skills
- Team player, who strives to maximize team and departmental performance
- Commercial development experience (whole life-cycle) in an enterprise environment
- Proven track record of leading and managing teams responsible for delivering data, data integration or Business Intelligence in an organization where data is one of the most valuable assets
- Experience of using agile methods for software delivery
- Experience of delivering within an environment where we are responsible for high volume, low latency of data management
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering (or appropriate postgraduate qualification)
- Knowledge of the betting industry is a plus
Flexible working is our way of working! We’re a diverse workforce and therefore a ‘one size fits all’ approach isn’t necessarily best. Whatever your personal needs may be, let’s have a chat and see how we can accommodate them.